A Narrative Review of Different Types and Processing Methods of Acrylic Denture Base Material
Acrylic resin is commonly used to fabricate removable prostheses due to its adequate physical, mechanical properties and cost effectiveness. There has been continuous development of the materials to improve their properties and to widen their applications in different clinical settings. This study aimed to provide a historical development of the acrylic resin and elaborate on the properties of different types and the processing methods of acrylic resins used to fabricate denture base which are commercially available in the market. This would help dental clinicians to choose the best material of choice in the market. The authors have summarized the history, development and classification of different types of acrylic resins used in fabricating dentures and processing methods based on published research available on this topic using published materials available in the Dental Library, University of Malaya and the database (Science Direct, PubMed). Every type of acrylic denture base material has its pros and cons. Therefore, careful selection of the material and processing method is crucial to ensure patients are receiving the best outcome in prosthodontic treatment hence upholding the patients’ best interest and improving their quality of life.
- The Faculty of Dentistry, Universiti Malaya holds the copyright of the published manuscript including all its components such as supplementary information, graphical contents and raw data without any restrictions.
- The author grant the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya assignable and sub-licensable right, unlimited in time and territory, to copy-edit, reproduce, publish, distribute, transmit, make available and store the Article, including abstracts thereof, in all forms of media of expression now known or developed in the future, including pre- and reprints, translations, photographic reproductions and extensions.
- After acceptance for publication in Ann Dent UM, the author(s) have the right to use any of its components in whole or in part for academic purposes such as, presentation in scientific conferences and seminars.
- The author(s) agree(s) that the Executive Editorial Borad of Ann Dent UM may retract the published manuscript, if accepted, or publish a correction or other notice in relation to the manuscript if found reasonable and appropriate from a legal, editorial or research integrity perspective.
- Addition or deletion of any author(s), or the order of the authors listed during the initial submission will not be allowed after the acceptance of the manuscript will be sent to the author(s).
- The submitting (or the corresponding) author has the permission and authority behalf of all of rest of the author(s) of the manuscript, (or any government entity, or any isntitutional entity, if applicable) to submit and subsequent correspondence with the Editorial Team of Ann Dent UM.
- The author(s) confirms full cooperation with the Executive Editorial Board or any authorized person by the board in relation to any legal action that might arise from the publication of the manuscript.