Pilomatrixoma of the cheek- A Case Report
Keywords:Keywords: Pilomatrixoma, Calcifying epithelioma of Malherbe, Benign calcifying epithelioma, Benign appendageal neoplasm, Hair follicle, Head and neck tumour
Pilomatrixoma is a relatively common benign tumour arising from the matrix and inner sheath of a normal hair follicle as well as hair cortex. It is usually presented as a superficial, solitary, firm mass which is asymptomatic and slowly growing. It accounts for about 0.2% of all routine skin specimens and may poses a diagnostic challenge as it may resemble other common benign lesions found in the head and neck region. We report a case of a 33-year old men presented to us with a pilomatrixoma of the right cheek, surgical management and histological findings.
2. Malherbe A, Chenantais J. Note sur l’ epithelioma calcifie des glandes sebacees. Prog Med 1880;8:826-8.
3. Moehlenbeck FW. Pilomatricoma (calcifying epithelioma): a statistical study. Arch Dermatol 1973;108:532-4.
4. Knight PJ, Reiner CB. Superficial lumps in children: What, when, and why? Pediatrics 1983;72:147-53.
5. Rink B. Pilomatrixoma in the oro-facial region. Int. J. Oral Maxiilofacial Surgery. 1991;20:196-8.
6. Harper PS. Calcifying epithelioma of Malherbe. Association with myotonic muscular dystrophy. Archives of Dermatology, 1972;106(1):41–4.
7. Pujol RM, Casanora JM, Egido R, Pujol I. Multiple familial pilomatrixoma: a cutaneous marker for Gardner syndrome? Pediatr Dermatol 1994;12:331-5.
8. Noguchi H, Kayashima K, Nishiyama S, and Ono T. Two cases of pilomatrixoma in Turner’s syndrome. Dermatology, 1999;199(4):338–40.
9. Cambiaghi S, Ermacora L, Brusasco A, Canzi L, Caputo R. Multiple pilomatricomas in Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome: a case report. Pediatr Dermatol 1994;11:21-5.
10. Chuang C-C, Lin H-C. Pilomatrixoma of the Head and Neck. J Chin Med Assoc. 2004;67:633-6.
11. TurhHan-Haktanir N, Demir Y, Sahin O, Bukulmez A, Tuzuner M. Pilomatricoma : A review of six pediatric cases with nine lesions. The Turkish Journal of Pediatrics. 2009;51:44-8.
12. Som PM, Shugar JMA and Silvers AR. CT of Pilomatrixoma in the Cheek. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1998;19:1219-20.
13. Kumaran N, Azmy A, Carachi R, Raine PAM, Macfarlene JH, Howatson AG. Pilomatrixoma – accuracy of clinical diagnosis. Journal of Pediatric Surgery (2006)05.005.1755-1758.
14. Xia J, Urabe K, Moroi Y, Koga T, Duan H, Li Y, Furue M. Beta-catenin mutation and its nuclear localization are confirmed to be frequent causes of Wnt signalling pathway in pilomatrixomas. J Dermatol Sci 2006;41:67-75.
15. Mikhaeel NG and Spittle MF. Malignant Pilomatrixoma with multiple local recurrences and distant metastases : A case report and review of literature. Clinical oncology 2001;13:336-89.
16. Sassmannshausen J and Chaffins M. Pilomatrioxoma carcinoma : A report of a case arising from a previously excised piomatrixoma and a review of the literature. J Am Acad Dermatol 2001;44:358-61.
17. Kawakami M, Yoshimura K, Ito K, Tanaka H, Higashikawa M, Hyo S. Two Cases of Pilomatrixoma in the cheek. Bulletin of the Osaka Medical College 2004;50(1,2):13-17.
18. Kashima K, Igawa I, Takamori K, Yoshioka I, Sakoda S. A case of pilomatrixoma in the cheek in a 7 year old girl. Oral Science Intenational 2012;9:26-8.
19. Neto JAM, Raposo RM, Segalla DK, Leonhardt FD. Pilomatrixoma in head & neck. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2009;75(4):618.
20. Williams MD, Pearson MH, Thomas FD. Pilomatrixoma : a rare condition in the differential diagnosis of a parotid swelling. British Journal of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery 1991;29:201-3.
21. Saussez S, Mahillon V, Blaivie C, Haller A, Chantrain G, Thill MP. Aggresive pilomatrixoma of the infra-auricular : A case report. Aris Nasus Larynx 2005;32:407-10.
22. Yoshimura JY, Obara S, Mikami T, Matsuda S. Calcifying epithelioma (pilomatrixoma) of the head and neck: analysis of 37 cases. British Journal of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery 1997;35:429-32.
- The Faculty of Dentistry, Universiti Malaya holds the copyright of the published manuscript including all its components such as supplementary information, graphical contents and raw data without any restrictions.
- The author grant the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya assignable and sub-licensable right, unlimited in time and territory, to copy-edit, reproduce, publish, distribute, transmit, make available and store the Article, including abstracts thereof, in all forms of media of expression now known or developed in the future, including pre- and reprints, translations, photographic reproductions and extensions.
- After acceptance for publication in Ann Dent UM, the author(s) have the right to use any of its components in whole or in part for academic purposes such as, presentation in scientific conferences and seminars.