ORAL HEALTH RELATED QUALITY OF LIFE AND PERIODONTAL STATUS OF A SELECTED MALAYSIAN ADULT POPULATION
A PILOT STUDY
Keywords:Oral health related quality of life, chronic periodontits, basic periodontal examination, oral health impact profile, gingivitis
AbstractAim: To assess the oral health related quality of life (OHQoL) of a selected population of Malaysian adults and to compare the OHQoL by periodontal status. Material & Methods: This cross-sectional study comprises a convenient sampling of fifty subjects from the Primary Care Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya. OHQoL was assessed using the Malaysian version of Oral Health Impact Profile-14 (OHIP-14). Basic periodontal examination (BPE) was performed on all subjects to determine their periodontal status. Descriptive statistics and bivariate analysis were performed. Results: Psychological discomfort, physical pain and psychological disability domains were the most affected dimensions in this population. Subjects with income levels >RM2,500 had higher impacts on their OHQoL as compared to those from other income levels (p<0.05). 78% of the subjects had some form of periodontitis (BPE scores 3 or 4) with the other 22% recording healthy/ gingivitis status (BPE 0, 1 or 2). Subjects with periodontitis experienced higher impacts on OHQoL as compared to those with healthy/ gingivitis in nearly all domains (p>0.05). Conclusion: Subjects with high income levels had high impacts on their OHQoL. Those with periodontitis experienced higher impacts on their OHQoL as compared to those who had a healthy periodontium or gingivitis and affected a wide range of domains of quality of life.
Download data is not yet available.
- The Faculty of Dentistry, Universiti Malaya holds the copyright of the published manuscript including all its components such as supplementary information, graphical contents and raw data without any restrictions.
- The author grant the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya assignable and sub-licensable right, unlimited in time and territory, to copy-edit, reproduce, publish, distribute, transmit, make available and store the Article, including abstracts thereof, in all forms of media of expression now known or developed in the future, including pre- and reprints, translations, photographic reproductions and extensions.
- After acceptance for publication in Ann Dent UM, the author(s) have the right to use any of its components in whole or in part for academic purposes such as, presentation in scientific conferences and seminars.